If we look at the floor of our towns, we will see all kinds of registration systems. There are systems for water, gas, fibre optic and many more; and each of these has a customised design to be able to recognise them easily. This item from the Gas Natural Fenosa Foundation Gas Museum collection is a gas manhole cover. A large number of similar objects are preserved among the original items in the collection. But this one was to celebrate the centenary of the creation of the company in 1843.
The Sociedad Catalana para el Alumbrado por Gas is considered to company that marks the beginning of the current Gas Natural Fenosa. In 1912, the company changed its name to Catalana de Gas y Electricidad, S.A. From then, the brand was a monogram that included the company initials, from outside to inside. As this manhole cover shows, in 1943, the company brand evolved by crowning the corporate initials with laurel branches and the founding date. This emblem would be in place until 1987, when it was replaced by a monogram made of two overlapping diamonds.